Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Comfort Food: Chili Sin Carne

 by Amy

’Oh, I wanted to surprise you,’ said Ben, coming over to hug Clara. ‘Chili con carne.’
‘My favorite comfort food.’


Comfort food. It’s actually a widespread concept (yes, I googled it), but the words to describe it vary from culture to culture. In Portuguese, for instance, it translates into “a taste of childhood”, which evokes nostalgia for or memories of better or happier times. I do realize not all childhood memories are good ones, but the idea of remembering good times makes sense.

I wouldn’t have listed chili – with or without meat – on my own list of comfort food. I’d include bread. Fresh warm bread. Maybe chocolate. Homemade warm cookies, definitely. Have I mentioned fresh bread?

Chili con carne appears twice in STILL LIFE and it is described both times as comfort food.  

In the second appearance, the dish is just one of many in another potluck dinner at the Morrow’s home. They have chili con carne as well as casseroles, shepherd´s pie, and plenty of wine. They also have cashews and a bag full of junk food and candy – Halloween-style comfort food, I guess. Clara is comforted by the meal where she is surrounded by familiar faces, indulges in the guilty pleasure of candy before dinner, and breathes in the homey smells coming from the kitchen.

There is a bit of foreshadowing since the uncomfortable part of the meal is when Clara realizes how Peter feels – and predicts how he’ll behave - when she acts on her own. I don’t think I truly caught this hint as to his behavior – or didn’t give it enough importance – when I first read the book.

Animated and excited she’d gabbled on about her box and the woods and the exhilarating climb up the ladder to the blind. But her wall of words hid from her a growing quietude. She failed to notice his silence, his distance, until it was too late and he’d retreated all the way to his icy island. She hated that place. From it he stood and stared, judged and lobbed shards of sarcasm.”

But let’s go back to the first chili meal. Ben tried to find the perfect recipe to appease Clara. What he failed to realize is that part of the comfort in food comes from the way the tastes and smells and even the surroundings trigger memories of better – or safer, or maybe just familiar – places and times.

The Morrows go to dinner and probably expect to eat something bought - maybe even from the Bistrô. We’re told in a previous scene that Ben doesn’t cook. He’s made an exception this time, though. He resurrected one of his mother’s old cookbooks and has followed the instructions in order to create what he believes will be the perfect answer to Clara’s grief: Chili con carne.

‘I’ve never made it before but I have some of my mother’s recipe books and found it in The Joy of Cooking. It won’t bring Jane back, but it might ease the pain.’

Clara walks into the home expecting to smell stinky dog and old books. Instead, she's overwhelmed by the aroma of homemade cooking. You’d think it would be an improvement, right? Apparently it wasn’t. She wanted the old and familiar smells…

Grief is partly about the loss of predictable patterns and interactions in life. You are aware of changes and have to find a way to fill the new gaps in your life. That’s probably why Peter’s mug of Earl Grey Tea was a better choice for comfort. To borrow a friend’s expression, what she needed was for everything to be “nicely normal”. Ben's unforeseeable behavior and the unusual settings were jarring.

“Clara looked at the huge cookbook open on the counter, and felt revolted. It had come from that house. Timmer’s place.The home that repulsed love and laughter and welcomed snakes and mice. She wanted nothing to do with it, and she realized her revulsion stretched even to objects that had come from there.”

Aside from the unfamiliarity of Ben’s cooking, Clara is discomfited by the fact that the cookbook and, indirectly, the recipe and even maybe the meal are contaminated by the place they came from. The theme isn’t explored in depth in this first book, but it is brilliantly discussed in the latest book – THE NATURE OF THE BEAST. Is something evil because its creator is evil? Can you separate the creation from the creator?

“She took a deep breath and inhaled garlic and onions and frying mince and other calming smells. Nellie must have cleaned recently because there was the fresh aroma of detergents. Cleanliness. Clara felt better and knew that Ben was her friend too, not just Peter’s. And that she wasn’t alone, unless she chose to be. She also knew Daisy could best sautéed garlic any day and her smell would re-emerge triumphant.”

In the end, Clara isn’t comforted by the meal. She’s comforted by the thought that familiarity will return and that the musty odor of old books and Daisy's stink would eventually override detergent and home cooking.

And we’re back to the concept of comfort food. Familiarity is probably more important than the taste itself. Likely there are things that are tastier, better for you, and even more presentable. But comfort foods – like old shoes, baggy pajamas, and books that have been read so many times they’re full of little marks and folded tips and pages that are starting to fall out – are about familiarity and the idea that essential things have not changed.

What's your comfort food?!

I decided to make a vegetarian version of this meal.

If any of you are in any way intimidated by Libby’s sophisticated cooking and presentations (I am), this is the polar opposite. I actually think Ruth could have easily made and served this for dinner instead of her elaborate gummy bear-velveeta-cracker dishes. It's easy to make. You just kind of add it all in and let it simmer for awhile... and you're done.

This recipe is based on one I found in Jamie Oliver’s website.  The link is at the end of the post. I tweaked it a bit.

Ingredients
  •           2 onions
  •           3 to 5 cloves of garlic
  •           1 medium leek (I LOVE leeks, so I actually used a large one)
  •           1 long fresh red chilli (I know some people add seeds, I used two, but removed the seeds)
  •           1 yellow pepper (this wasn’t in the original recipe, but I had some and added them “just because”)
  •           2 Tablespoons of ground coriander (The first time I made it I used two, but the other times I only used 1 TBS. It was enough for me)
  •           2 TBS smoked paprika (this was in the original recipe but I couldn’t find it ANYWHERE here and finally gave up. I’m adding it to the recipe here because I wish I had found it)
  •           ½ cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  •           2 Tablespoons dried oregano
  •           1 whole nutmeg for grating or ½ teaspoon powdered nutmeg
  •           2 tablespoons tomato purée
  •           500g dried lentils (the original calls for 250g of green and 250g red lentils – I only had green)
  •           800g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  •           800g of black beans, drained and rinsed (truth be told, I’ve made this recipe with all kinds of beans – canned, just cooked, brown, black, red, you name it. It works no matter which beans you use)
  •           2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
  •           1.2 liters of vegetable stock (homemade, in cubes or store-bought)
  •           Salt (I didn’t use any – there was enough in the vegetable stock)
  •           Black pepper, freshly ground (my husband doesn’t enjoy black pepper, so I rarely use it)


How to

Finely chop onions, garlic and leeks. Also chop the chili – with or without seeds. Fry in the olive oil until softened. Add the spices. Fry for another 2 minutes. The original recipe says to add a splash of water if it starts getting dry, but I think you can go ahead and just add the tomato purée if you reach that point. Cook for another two minutes. Then basically you just pour everything else in: lentils (dry), beans (cooked and drained or drained from a tin), and chopped tomatoes. Add the stock. Bring it all to a boil, then reduce the heat and leave it there for at least an hour. Stir a few times, and then season however you like it. I didn’t think salt was necessary because the vegetable stock I used already had salt.

And you’re done. But you’ll have enough chili for an army. The first time, I made a full recipe and regretted it. Then I made ½ a recipe and it´s still a good amount. My husband didn’t care for it (even though I added meat to his) and my son doesn’t much like beans at the best of times. It doesn’t qualify as comfort food in my house! But I thought it was yummy and I have small portions frozen, so I can easily have a quick meal whenever I want to!



http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/kerryann-s-chilli-con-veggie/#F1ykAe8sD3KHzmDz.97

18 comments:

  1. Your paragraph that ended with "the idea that essential things have not changed" did me in.

    Tomorrow my brothers and I along with spouses are gathering for my dying fathers 97th birthday and we are having our comfort food. It is lobscoch a recipe that came from my grandmother, and it was a frequent meal while growing up. After my mom died it was the first recipe my dad made, after calling me for encouragement. So even though things have and are changing the food will be comforting.

    PS dad is still doing okay, failing kidneys and all.

    Pss I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      I'm so glad I posted today! I was going to post it tomorrow, but I feel like now I got a chance to be part (even if only a little bit) of your family reunion tomorrow. :)
      I love that you have comfort food that is a shared one. You will always think of your family whenever you eat it - whether they are with you or not, right?
      Here's a big hug to go along with your meal (because hugs are comforting too, right?). (((((( Hug ))))))
      And I hope the essential things stay with you and that the birthday meal is full of shared memories and laughter... I hope your dad enjoys his meal and having his family with him (that, in itself, is pretty special).
      I'm glad you love the blog. We love having you read! And I'm so glad the post fit in with your weekend!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I've never heard of lobscoch and googled it. I found lobscotch or lobscouse. What is yours like? One of the ones I found was a kind of stew (vegetable & beef). What is your family's meal like? It sounds like the perfect comfort food. Especially since warm fresh bread would be a great side. ;)

      Delete
    3. Our lobscoch is like scalloped potatoes with layers of hamburger, tomatoes and of course onions with cream poured over it. Although one brother referred to it like being a stew I never thought of it that way. Cole slaw was always the go to salad and warm bread would be great.

      On a sad note none of our kids are very fond of it. Our son has made it but that's about it.

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
    4. That sounds good... I'm pretty sure your kids have some other family meal they think of as comfort food, though. ;)
      I don't think there's anything my family growing up (my parents, my sister & I) would have as a joint comfort food. And I'm SURE my own family now (husband & son & I) don't share our concept of comfort food. We have fairly different tastes.

      Delete
  2. Although chilli isn't my go-to comfort food, I do find it appealing. I probably only cook it about once a year, though. I like it both ways...con carne and without.
    I like your reflections on grief. That is exactly my observation after the loss of someone close. Nothing is ever quite the same again, as that person's part in the story of your life is missing. That's the hardest part for me.
    Back to the chilli. You know, I always think of it as a winter dish. It would never occur to me to prepare it in the summer. Is it common in Brazil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      It isn't at all common in Brazil - but since the world is becoming culturally "smaller" in some ways (It's a small small world...), many people (everywhere in the world) google food ideas. When you think about it, chili isn't really Candian or American originally either. LOL!
      There is a popular dish here for black beans that _does_ in corporate meat and is well known - feijoada. It's usually eaten with white rice, greens, and orange slices.
      I actually made it some months ago, when it was still chilly. I still have two portions in my freezer, but it's been so hot lately that I can't even contemplate eating it. LOL!
      As for the grief, you are so right...

      Delete
    2. Oh Amy, I love feijoada! My DIL makes it in the pressure cooker. Haven't had it for a while. I must get on to her about that :)
      She makes another dish that all the kids are crazy about. Pastelles. (Not sure of the spelling) They're yummy, but because they're deep fried, I always feel so guilty eating them.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mary! I'm so sorry! How could I have forgotten about your DIL! Can you believe that I _never_ made feijoada in my life? Ask her if she's willing to share her recipe! I'll be in the US this winter and could maybe make it for American friends for them to try it. Might be fun. ;)

      Delete
    4. I'll get back to you on that. She does what her mother always did and I don't know if there is a recipe or not. I'll ask, though. She'll tell me how she does it either way.

      Delete
  3. Chili actually is one of my comfort foods. When I was young and had birthday parties Chili was always the meal I requested. A little bit later while i was still in high school my mom, who was a teacher, worked late and I was the chef. I often made chili (always with carne). When I was first dating my husband I decided to make him supper to surprise him. I looked in Joy of Cooking for inspiration and found a recipe that is basically chili with a cornbread crust. He seemed to like it!

    Like you I have made chili with all kinds of beans and it always tastes just fine. I always find that it tastes better the second day but we usually eat about half of it the day it is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gypsysmom (I love your "name"),
      Really?! It's so great that chili is your actual comfort food - although if you enjoy the meat, this recipe probably wouldn't be a good one. I should try your recipe on my husband. The con carne would probably be more of a success. ;) Do share your version if it's not too much trouble.
      I agree. I think any kind of beans will work.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this blog. Thank you for sharing its My comfort food is macaroni and cheese. The cheese has to be velveeta. Any other cheese is a great dish, even with lobster, etc. But to be comfort it has to be yellow velveeta cheese and elbow macaroni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo! Mac&cheese! The first time we went to the US, my son was about two. I introduced him to some of the stuff from my childhood. He enjoyed the animal crackers, but to this day he won't touch mac&cheese. LOL! Good choice of comfort food!
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. Amy, this is a feast of pulses with beans and lentils too! I love that it makes enough for an army, LOL, and there's heaps for freezing. I couldn't live without crusty grainy bread but lentils, usually dahl, is my comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby! So sorry. I think I answered you in my head and didn't actually post!
      Heeeeeeaps for freezing.

      Delete
  6. Dear Amarilis,

    I missed this post when it first arrived. I'm so behind on reading my favorite blogs! But the nice thing is they are always there for us! So I got to enjoy it today. It is such fun to have "comfort excerpts" from Penny's books. No matter the length, I find myself transported back to Three Pines with our favorite characters. And my family loves chili but only in the winter time. It isn't officially winter yet, still autumn, but I made our first batch of chili not long ago on a particularly cool day. My youngest son just happened by that night. *g* It is one of his favorites. Enjoyed the post as always! Thanks for sharing your insights with us. *s*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev,
      Thanks for reading!
      I love that "comfort excerpts"! Books can be a kind of nourishment, can't they?
      I think I'll make some of the regular chili this winter... with meat. I'll be in North America in January and chili might taste good then, right?
      Maybe I should use your recipe. ;)

      Delete