Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Friday, April 22, 2016

More Muffins, promise, potential, and mistakes

by Amy


 “The next morning dawned bright and fresh. There was some warmth in the sun again and Gamache soon took off his sweater as he walked around the village green before breakfast. A few children, up before parents and grandparents, did some last-minute frog hunting in the pond. They ignored him and he was happy to watch them from a distance then continue his solitary and peaceful stroll. He waved at Myrna, cresting the hill on her own solitary walk.
This was the last day of summer vacation, and while it had been decades since he’d gone to school, he still felt the tug. The mix of sadness at the end of summer, and excitement to see his chums again. The new clothes, bought after a summer’s growth. The new pencils, sharpened over and over, and the smell of the shavings. And the new notebooks. Always strangely thrilling. Unmarred. No mistakes yet. All they held was promise and potential.”

This paragraph from the Three Pines books is reminiscent of Anne of Green Gables and her conversation with her beloved teacher when they say that tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it – yet.

Do you feel it, too? The tug when it’s the time for a new school year? Or is it New Year’s Day that makes you feel like it’s time to start anew? Or spring? Or maybe it’s birthdays? Or Mondays? Or a new book? Are there other things that mark beginnings for you?

I love the idea of promise and potential. And the fact that there are no mistakes yet.

“A new murder investigation felt much the same. Had they marred their books yet? Made any mistakes?”

Isn’t that true for so many other things?

We begin – a year, a month, a class, an exercise program, a diet, a schedule, a course, a marriage, a family… - with the best of intentions. We have promise and potential. We aim for perfection. No mistakes have been made and we’re still looking at a blank page. Unmarred. No mistakes. Yet.

We make mistakes.

Many mistakes are catalysts for learning. Any good teacher will tell you that. It isn’t the kids who get all the answers right that learn the most. It’s usually the ones who know how to ask the right questions. It’s the ones who wonder at the mistakes and question the accuracy of any answer. (Sometimes, in an educational setting, that means they seem to be asking the “wrong” questions and not answering much of anything). Sometimes we need the mistakes to better grasp the process.

Promise and potential are wonderful things.

Accomplishment and achievement are even better.

Promise and potential are like blank new notebooks. I love new notebooks. They’re so pretty and clean and unscribbled on. They smell nice. They’re neat. A just bought a new one online – my cousin is an artist and some of her work is being marketed on T-shirts and sketchbooks. It’s gorgeous. 
Absolutely unneeded, but I succumbed to temptation.


I always have a notebook in my bag. I take notes, scribble information, add “to do” lists, copy out quotes, make more lists, and keep little summaries of important information. At least it seems important at the time. It isn’t always important later. By the time a couple of pages have been filled in, I’ve already forgotten to use my best handwriting (all first pages of notebooks merit best handwriting).

Old notebooks are evidence of accomplishment and achievement. They rarely look pretty once they’ve really been used. I’m sure some people manage to keep things neat all the way through, but my own notebooks – and planners – are usually full of doodles and little hearts and crossed out items on to do lists. I have sketches by my son (done in moments of boredom when we’re in places that lack entertainment), grocery lists (that seem to always have the same items on them), and reminders and phone numbers and one word reminders that make no sense a few weeks (or days) after being jotted down.

I will always love new notebooks. I recognize that used ones, while less pleasing to the eye, actually have better stories to tell.

Some mistakes should be fixed.

Some mistakes are opportunities.

Some mistakes are serendipity.

Some mistakes are charged with regret.

Some are inevitable.

Some are growing pains.

Some are relative – depending on who you ask, they’re not even mistakes at all.

 “As he slowly circled the village green, his hands clasped behind his back and his gaze far off, he thought about that. After a few leisurely circuits he went inside to breakfast.
Beauvoir and Lacoste were already down, with frothy café au lait in front of them. They stood up as he entered the room, and he motioned them down. The aroma of maple-cured back bacon and eggs and coffee came from the kitchen. He’d barely sat down when Gabri swept out of the kitchen with plates of eggs Benedict, fruit and muffins.”

Gabri once ate his sorrow in muffins (this post: eating my pain). Lacoste is contemplating the power of muffins to fill emotional gaps in this scene. I wonder if anyone else considers muffins to be a sort of comfort food.

“Muffin?”
“S’il vous plait,” said Isabelle Lacoste, taking one. They looked like nuclear explosions. Isabelle Lacoste missed her children and her husband. But it amazed her how this small village seemed able to heal even that hole. Of course, if you stuff in enough muffins even the largest hole is healed, for a while. She was willing to try.”

I rarely make muffins in my home. I love them. I like muffins that are fresh out of the oven and smoking hot. My favorite is a recipe of apple muffins that I first ate in Sweden. The Swedish friend who gave me that recipe called it “apple bread” (although that’s the translation, I don’t know what she called it in Swedish). Maybe it’s because muffins are kind of like bread. Right?

Maybe the only reason they’re my favorite is because it was such a fun and friendly meal. My friend and I talked and baked and then sat down and enjoyed an ENTIRE batch of muffins before going out sightseeing. I was in my late teens, on a “gap semester” and having some time alone, away from home and family and the boyfriend (who I eventually married) and listening to my own heart and mind for a couple of months. Apple muffins remind me of that time.

My son won’t touch them. The little slivers of apple are too gooey for him. My husband tolerates them. Or, I should say, he used to tolerate them. At this point in our lives he quite freely grimaces and says, “Isn’t there anything else to eat?”

I am no longer in my late teens, but I would happily eat an entire batch of apple muffins all by myself. So I don’t really make them. Why risk it?

Since the pistachio muffins were a hit when I made them for the earlier post, I decided to try some chocolate muffins and call them brownies to see if my son would eat them. It almost worked. He ate one. After that, he looked at the muffin plate and said, “Can I have an apple next?”. My husband ate half of one and started rummaging in the refrigerator. Yet another muffin recipe that was not approved by the males in the house.

Me? I ate the entire rest of the batch. I thought they were yummy. Sigh. I really shouldn’t make muffins. The good news is I had no emotional holes or homesickness or regretted mistakes to fill up with muffins, so I managed to make them last enough that I don’t feel guilty. They freeze really well and worked great as a snack to bake, freeze, and pull out one at a time to enjoy with coffee or cappuccino or tea. The best part (my son disagrees) was having hazelnuts in them.

Recipe:

Ingredients:
·         1 cup of sugar (I used white sugar, but since I was the only one who ate it anyway, I’ll use brown next time)
·         ½ cup of vegetable oil
·         3 eggs – I beat them slightly before adding them
Mix these three ingredients until you have a creamy blend.
·         1 ½ cups flour
·         1 teaspoon baking powder
·         1 teaspoon baking soda
·         1 pinch of salt
      Mix these in, but not too smooth. Unbaked muffin batter is supposed to be a bit lumpy, right? Just mix the dry and wet ingredients enough.
·         ½ cup of chopped hazelnuts
·         ½ cup of cacao powder or unsweetened chocolate powder
·         1 pinch of salt
·         100g of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Add those last ingredients, then spoon about two spoonfuls into each muffin tin. Bake for about 20 minutes.


All quotes – unless stated otherwise – are from The Brutal Telling: page 69 and 70 in the paperback edition.

7 comments:

  1. Another stellar post. Somehow the combination of the lessons from Louise's writing (is she the only author I call by her first name, because I feel like I know her? I think so. I hope she understands it doesn't make her any less brilliant.) and the food is irresistible to me. Combine that with the best possible title for a blog, and I'm drawn in completely. I think that The Night is a Strawberry is my very favorite line from the books, and from one of my favorite books of the series. Gamache's healing time in Quebec City is punctuated by the Anglos who need his help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops - that went out too soon. I meant to say that the start of a school year still pulls me, too, just as it does Gamache. I think the fall crispness, the changing leaves, and the idea of new beginnings are all mixed up together for me. A few autumns from my youth call to me - the first year of high school, having to make new friends, as the old ones all seemed to be going to a different school... my awakening sense that something big was happening in music - all wonderful memories as I began my coming of age in the sixties...

      Delete
    2. Hi Julie!
      I feel like I know her, too! She seems so approachable, doesn't she? There are other authors I call by their first names, too... but then, I've actually conversed with them more than once (even if online). Does that count?
      And she is brilliant. I'm pretty sure she'd understand the first name as a compliment, not a detraction.
      I'm tickled that you feel the EXACT same way as I do about the title!!! I'm still surprised that we were smart enough to figure that one out. I LOVE that line. And it's one of my favorite books, too.
      "my awakening sense that something big was happening in music"... Oh, why do I feel like there's a story there? I wish I could invite you over for coffee (black, bold, no sugar? or aren't you the same Julie as the facebook Julie?) and conversation... I'd love to hear about it...
      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  2. Another intelligent and thoughtful blog. I love new notebooks. I loved them so much I worked in schools for many years. Even with the smartphones and computers I still write on a notebook in my bag. Really you know the night is a strawberry. We all make mistakes and sometimes there is growth and sometimes it stuns your growth. There needs to be soul searching, like Ganache did so well and Beauvoir did not. So very much to think about. Thank you for making me think every week. Oh and the food, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! Me too! I still write on a notebook in my bag. I think computers and smartphones don`t lend themselves to doodling and variations in handwriting - it`s part of the "mood" in writing, right? I'm going through some soul searching myself... I think it took Beauvoir longer, but he'll eventually get there. Or maybe not longer. By the time we meet Gamache he's older than Beauvoir was even in the latest books. So I'm assuming Beauvoir will have time. He married a woman who probably won't let him get away with not confronting his demons. ;) Thank you for joining me in thinking every week.

      Delete
    2. Oh Amy, I think Beauvoir is my touchstone in the series for both making mistakes, and showing promise and potential. He certainly has created a frustrating tension between the two. But as you say, he is well on his way to 'getting there', with Annie's support too. I love new notebooks just like you, but I do have to make a supreme effort with my handwriting otherwise they descend into a state of illegibility which makes things hard to decipher down the track!

      Delete
    3. Hi Libby,
      I like how you put that - Beauvoir is a touchstone for mistakes, promise & potential. He's one of the character I most identify with in some ways.
      LOL on the handwriting. Was just talking to son about handwriting right now. About at least making an effort...

      Delete