Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrĂ©e into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Saturday, June 4, 2016

File Mignon & Baked Potatoes with Blue Cheese - Second Attempt

by Amy



So... the last post was a failed meal. I almost didn't post it. I actually had another post drafted and was planning on using that. I'm glad I did, though. Honesty is therapeutic. And spectacular mistakes can be inspiring.

As Julie (reader) pointed out in the comments, it was colorless. A veggie lover like me doesn't really do colorless. Usually. I was focused on the meat. I was trying to make ingredients that aren't loved by various family members blend into something palatable for all. As I was reading Nancy's comment (see previous post) and reminded of Enid & Beauvoir, I realized I was also in Enid-mode.

So I stopped.

Reassessed.

I remembered that the point was remaking meals so they were a bit our own.

I'm in a better place now than I was the day I made the ugly colorless meal.

So, after an impromptu wonderful fifteen minute conversation with a friend I hadn't expected to run into today, some time spent in nature while son was horseback riding, and wearing yoga pants and very frizzy hair (it's been raining a lot lately), I looked ridiculous enough and comfortable enough to look perfect for cooking the pajama-day meal. Yey! That probably helped.



I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and grabbed some potatoes and German blue cheese... Went to the garden in the rain (gardens prefer rain to human watering, I'm sure)... And cooked myself a better meal.

I think it looks better AND tastes better than the previous one.

I seared the meat (little bit of butter), then used the same pan for the carrots and tomatoes and greens. The potatoes I sliced through (a little over halfway deep), added a sprinkle of salt and a bit of melted butter and baked for about 25 minutes, then added the cheese and baked for another 20. A bit of white wine (I know... probably should have been red, but I had a bottle of "green" Portuguese wine and no one to please but myself). Husband wasn't home. Son loved the meat, didn't have potatoes and tolerated the veggies. I thought it was perfect.

Much better. Sigh.

And thank you Lori (on facebook) & Julie (comments in previous post) for ideas on how they'd do it (or would have or have before). It gave me the push I needed to go back and redo the meal. Also, thanks to Nancy, I spent quite some time imagining Enid's ex-hockey-player's new husband. LOL!

Love you guys! And, because of you, I had a much better meal than I would have otherwise...

8 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, back from holidays and can see that you have been busy! Love the way you have been inspired to recreate the meal, particularly seeing you're not a very meaty person, like me! LOL! Brava! The potatoes look and sound delicious! As do the other veges.

    Feel the same way as you about Beauvoir, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potatoes were perfect. I think I'll just make them tomorrow all over again since I have more of everything. No more meat, though. Son can eat the rest of that.

      Delete
  2. This looks delish! I'd eat it all. Filet mignonette is my favorite steak. I only have it on very special occasions as it is expensive. The potatoe looked great. I'd eat that and of course all the vegetables. I'm glad you made it again.
    Enid's new rich handsome husband would buy it for her anytime she wants. I think they spend much of the winter in the Caribbean. (I'm just a little off topic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, The "off topics" are wonderful. :)
      It's my husband's favorite, too.
      I'm glad I made it again, too. To be honest, I made the potatoes again today. Yummy. I changed the seasoning, though... and made them with a bit of lemon pepper. Yummy.

      Delete
  3. Now that's a meal anyone would be proud to serve! Beauvoir would approve, and I certainly do, hahaha. (Because I know it's really all about me..) Love the way you did the potatoes, and the carrots and tomatoes together in the pan after the steak is inspired! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Of COURSE it's about you (although I'd say it's about "you too" and not "just you"). This specific post? Definitely all about you. Your comments before were inspiring. If you hadn't said a think I might have let it rest. As it was, the "colorless" comment had me smacking my forehead as in "duh!". As for the veggies in the pan, well... while I'm not a big meat eater, I absolutely LOVE veggies (carrots in particular) with a slight meaty taste on them. So I always do that. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Applause!
    Good for you revisiting a "perceived" failure.
    This new dish is so appealing. I might have to run out and get some blue cheese! (and veggies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes mistakes can be inspiration for improvement. ;)

      Blue cheese on potatoes was super yummy!!! Totally recommend it. I think these baked potatoes may just be my new comfort food.

      Delete