Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Shandies and Friendships with Special Obligations

by Libby



Olivier was standing within inches of her, holding two glasses. ... “Shandies,” he said. “Made with ginger beer and pale ale, as you like them.” Clara looked from him to the glasses then back to Olivier ... remember(ing) the look they’d exchanged while kneeling in the corridor of the Musée d’Art Contemporain. (A Trick of the Light, Kindle, p.56)

Once again Olivier has come to Clara's aid, a filter for the turmoil and angst she is experiencing. He's quietly there.

Olivier, more than any other of her Three Pines 'family', empathises with those feelings of being shaken to the core, feeling alone and isolated by an experience amidst confusion, anger and powerlessness. Clara is isolated by circumstances not of her own making. The murder of a former friend just as her art is hitting dizzy heights has stolen attention away from her. Olivier on the other hand feels isolated by circumstances of his own making, having compromised his close friendships through deceit and betrayal. But he's working hard on fixing that and so are his friends...well maybe except for Ruth!

“What makes you think we haven’t forgiven you?” asked Clara. “Well, Ruth for one.” “Oh, come on,” laughed Clara. “She’s always called you a dick-head.” “True. But you know what she calls me now?” “What?” she asked with a grin. “Olivier.” Clara’s grin slowly faded. (A Trick of the Light, Kindle, p.56)

As both Clara and Olivier try to reassure each other, it made me think of the unspoken bond that lies in certain friendships. These are the ones that go beyond shared experiences and pleasure in others' company. Louise Penny always leaves me considering the power and security of friendships, the qualities in relationships, and notions of belonging. And I seem to write about it quite a bit.

But I was also a tad distracted by the ginger beer shandies. It took me by surprise as I've only ever known a shandy to be a mix of beer and lemonade. So loving all things 'ginger', I had to give it a try. Bitter, sweet and warm and spicy notes come together in this shandy. So it was an apt accompaniment for this scene...given the feelings and emotions in Clara's and Olivier's conversation about anger, isolation, fear of not being wanted, letting go, forgiveness, and friendship.

So many themes at work here! But the thing that struck me most about Clara and Olivier in this scene was a friendship where there was truth and honesty and a level of self disclosure underpinned by a bond of trust (well, Olivier is working hard to regain it) and intimacy. Olivier was able to confide in Clara, like no other.

“I haven’t even told Gabri this, I didn’t want to hurt him, didn’t want him to take it the wrong way. When we were walking toward the bistro I almost stopped. Almost asked them to drive me somewhere else, anywhere else.” “Why?” Clara’s voice had dropped to a whisper. “Because I was terrified. More afraid than I’d ever been in my life. More afraid even than in prison.” “Afraid of what?” ... “I was afraid you wouldn’t want me back. That I wouldn’t belong anymore.” Olivier sighed and dropped his head. His eyes stared at the ground, taking in each blade of grass. “Oh, God, Olivier,” said Clara, dropping her shandy onto the newspapers, where it fell over, soaking the pages. “Never.” “Are you sure?” he asked, turning to her. Searching her face for reassurance. “Absolutely. We really have let it go.” (A Trick of the Light, Kindle, p.58)

Anyway, it made me think about friendships and consider those deeper friendships where special obligations are implicit. I don't mean obligations that are an explicit promise to a friend (although that might apply) but rather a deep and genuine commitment in the relationship, that goes beyond mutual care and affection and a desire to help each other. It's being bound to and loving a friend for their own sake, their goodness, and having a deep caring for and identification with them. 

These are the friends, even with our differences, with whom we mirror each other, and extend each other, where we are loved for our own sake and do so in return, where we give and forgive. These are the ones in whom we can confide, and pretty much share our innermost thoughts and fears, and offer the same in return. While they are small in number they are large in impact in our lives. And you wouldn't think twice about putting their interests ahead of your own when needed, pretty well dropping everything or changing your schedule or taking a detour to be there for them, whether it is to provide support or comfort, or just the need for each other's company. Belonging.

I've come to appreciate this so much more as I've got older and the noise in my life has lessened. Lives can be so noisy and episodic, so full of family and work and even struggle that friendships sometimes get ignored in the mix or put in the background, or are just transient. Deep and caring friendships where there are those special obligations, are the product of time and commitment, and intimacy. You have to be open to them. But the rewards are so life-affirming! And I'm grateful and very comforted that I have come to realise such friendships, few though they may be. It's enough...and it's everything.


Ginger beer shandies

 


Well, I've got to applaud Clara's good taste in shandies! Ginger beer and pale ale are a perfect match. Talk about a  balance of flavours -- the light sweetness of the malt and bitter aftertaste from the hops in the ale with the spicy warmth of the ginger beer. I like a 'bitter' taste. It adds so much complexity to a cocktail of flavours. It's that bitter note through a range of fruits and herbs that is found in so many Italian aperitifs that use Campari or Aperol, vermouths or amari. I love 'mixing' with them all!

I think Clara and Olivier's relationship is a bit like this shandy. Coming together, each bringing something different, but together finding a balance.

This recipe makes two large shandies, with a 50/50 mixture. The pale ale is poured first so that a foamy head will form. A head helps to release the flavours in the ale. If the ginger beer is poured first, a head doesn't form, so I discovered! When making this shandy it's worth noting that ginger beer is a brewed (fermented) product and not to be substituted with ginger ale, which is just carbonated water flavoured with ginger.

375ml/12.5 fl oz of chilled pale ale
375 ml/12.5 fl oz of chilled ginger beer

1. Chill two large glasses in the fridge or freezer, ahead of time.
2. Pour cold pale ale into each glass, dividing it equally between them.
3. Add the ginger beer equally to each glass.

Santé!


What to eat with shandies?

 



I always need to accompany an alcoholic beverage with a bit of food. Ginger beer shandies go perfectly with Asian-inspired food. So prawn balls were the go! Although with less time on my hands I probably would have served some spicy nuts.


Prawn balls and snow peas (mangetout)

 


These prawn balls are really quite versatile and convenient. I serve them as a snack or starter with one or two dipping sauces. They are also great in a broth with noodles, fresh Asian herbs and flavourings. The prawn mixture can also be used to fill wonton wrappers, then steamed, poached or deep fried and served with a dipping sauce. The prawn balls can be prepared the day before and cooked just before serving or cooked earlier and served at room temperature.

 
Prawn balls 


300g uncooked prawns, shelled and deveined
1 tbsp finely chopped root ginger
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
a few sprigs of fresh coriander/cilantro, finely chopped
1 spring onion, finely sliced and chopped
1 tsp oyster sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup soft breadcrumbs

peanut oil for frying


1. Soak up any moisture on the prawns with paper towel.

2. Chop the prawns into small pieces or briefly pulse them in a food processor (the texture should not be smooth) and place in a bowl.

3. Add all the other ingredients, except the peanut oil, and combine well.






4. Shape spoonfuls of the mixture into bite-sized balls and place on baking paper on a plate or tray. Makes 16 balls.

5. Refrigerate covered until required.








6. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of peanut oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When hot add half of the prawn balls and fry, turning them until golden and cooked through. Takes 3-4 minutes.

7. Place on a plate lined with paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Cover with a piece of foil and keep warm.

8. Add more oil to the pan, heat and then cook the remaining prawn balls.



Stir fried snow peas (mangetout)


generous handful of snow peas (mangetout)
1 tbsp of peanut oil
3 tbsp of chicken stock

1. Heat the oil in a frypan over medium heat

2. Toss in the snow peas and stir fry.

3. Add the chicken stock and stir the peas until the stock has reduced and the peas are cooked but with a crunchy texture.


Dipping sauce

3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water
a little finely sliced red chilli 

1. Prepare the dipping sauce by combining all ingredients. Taste and adjust the balance of flavours. 

2. Pour into a serving dish and set aside.


Spoon the prawn balls onto a serving plate with the snow peas. Scatter sprigs of fresh coriander (cilantro). Serve with the dipping sauce.





9 comments:

  1. Friendships with special obligations. I wondered where you were going with that. I hadn't thought of it like that at a conscious level, but everything you said resonated with what I value in my friendships. You explored it so well. I love what you said about being quietly there, unspoken bonds, trust and intimacy, truth and honesty, security and belonging, and how we extend each other. You're right. It is all so life-affirming. I love taking a walk in your brain. It helps me connect the dots.
    I also love what you do with food. Those prawn balls look amazing. Who benefits from all of your experiments for this blog? Your husband? The neighbours? I think I'd like to live next door to you so you could get me to sample your recipes!
    Anyway, this one just might find it's way to my table soon when all of my family gathers. I like to wow them with a few new recipes even though they look forward to the old stand-bys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mary, friendships of the deeper kind have been on my brain lately. I've come to realise as I've got older just how meaningful and important they are. So happy to share that with you!

      Well, my partner and I drank a few shandies in the course of this post! LOL! And yes we knocked off all of those prawn balls too!! Food for the blog is invariably shared though with family and friends, including some neighbours. The sharing bit is what I really enjoy about cooking. You are welcome any time!!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I feel privileged to share that with you, as well. And for the record, I'd love to be your taste tester!

      Delete
  2. Lovely. I'm not a fan of ginger beer, and my Dad always made Shandies with beer and Ginger Ale. When I was old enough, he let me try one. I think I'll just stick with the Ginger Ale, hahaha. The prawn balls look absolutely wonderful - I'll be making those soon, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, well the prawn balls go very well with a crisp dry white wine too. :) Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. I love a good shandy. My favorite is a cranberry shandy called the Bog made by the Cape May Brewery each summer. I'll have to try the ginger beer one. Friendship is complicated, even though it should be so simple. Friendship dovetails with forgiveness. Another thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy, that cranberry shandy sounds interesting! It must have arose colour too. Do you juice, or a carbonated cranberry drink (not sure we have that here in Australia).

    There are just so many different levels of friendship arent there, but the ones that 'dovetail with forgiveness' (love that expression, it carries so much meaning in just three words) are those deeper ones I was talking about. While some may have forgiven Olivier because of Gabri, Clara was one who looked and felt more deeply about him, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here I am, late as usual, but have some time today to catch up on blogs and internet reading! And I must begin with my favorite blog! What lovely thoughts and exploration of friendship. I agree, Libby, I think as we grow older/wiser, we do appreciate our special ties with our friends and distant relatives. I recently re-connected with a group of cousins, and I value that connection much more at this age when life is a little less crowded. "It's being bound to and loving a friend for their own sake." I see that attitude among the Three Pines' friends often, and it's one I admire and appreciate so much. To know that you are accepted just for you is one of the best feelings, as well as to reciprocate that acceptance! I'm saving the prawn ball recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never to late Bev! Love that you popped in. :) As much as I rail at times against aging, I really do appreciate the wisdom that can come with it, learning and understanding more about ourselves and how we fit with others. So good that you have been able to reconnect with your cousins. It's the truth of those Three Pines' friendships that have made me think more deeply about those in my own life.

      Delete