Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Potato Soup & Civil War

by Amy



Beauvoir took a hunk of warm baguette and smoothed whipped butter onto it, and watched it melt. Then he cut a slab of blue and Brie from the cheese board making the rounds. As Brother Raymond continued his liturgy of the faults in the monastery, Beauvoir took a spoonful of soup, with carrots, peas, parsnips and potatoes bumping together in the fragrant broth.”

The food in THE BEAUTIFUL MYSTERY is mouth-watering. Just reading that paragraph makes me wish I could spend a week in the monastery and partake of their meals, learn from their silence and slow down. Or pick blueberries. And eat them. With chocolate. Sigh. Any of you feel the same?


 “Are you one of the abbot’s men, or the prior’s men?”

The doctor’s gaze, friendly before, now sharpened, examining Beauvoir. Then he smiled again.
“I’m neutral, Inspector. Like the Red Cross. I just tend to the wounded.”
“Are there many? Wounded, I mean?”
The smile left Frère Charles’s face. “Enough. A rift like that in a previously happy monastery hurts everyone.”
“Including yourself?”
“Oui,” the doctor admitted. “But I really don’t take sides. It wouldn’t be appropriate.”
“Was it appropriate for anyone?”
“It wasn’t anyone’s first choice,” said the doctor, an edge of impatience in his friendly voice. “We didn’t wake up one morning and pick teams. Like a game of Red Rover. This was excruciating and slow. Like being eviscerated. Gutted. A civil war is never civil.”
Then the monk’s gaze left Beauvoir and looked first at Francoeur, beside the abbot, then across the table to Gamache.
“As perhaps you know.”
A denial was on Beauvoir’s lips, but he stopped it. The monk knew. They all knew.”

I must confess that I oscillate between writing an entire flood of words and feeling like there is nothing to be added to this scene.

A civil war is never civil.

I’ve spent a few minutes staring at the screen watching the blinking courser. I keep wondering how much to share and how this is a potentially dangerous topic to explore.

I am reminded of Lincoln’s famous “a house divided cannot stand” quote. It is true of nations. It is true of homes.




This soup was, unwittingly, the cause of friction in my own home. My son has issues with food texture and soup is his least favorite of all foods. We have a deal that he has to at least taste things. 

This particular meal was one where the enforcing of the rule led to an unpleasant meal since we weren’t all in agreement as to the particulars of the “tasting rule”. The whole process led to the need for diplomacy in order to find a truce and strategies for future soup meals. He has since had to eat (taste, really… he never has to eat more than a spoonful or two) many, many soups and the most tolerable one, to him, is the apple parsnip one I’ve already posted about.

Civil war is never civil.

There doesn’t always have to be war in times of contention, though. A willingness to listen, to negotiate, and to try to understand another person (or nation or group or…) and their point of view may salvage a situation and avoid a war. We didn’t reach civil war in my own home. Thank goodness. Diplomacy and tolerance won out. I must confess, though, that navigating family negotiations and mediating interactions made that first soup meal savorless. I had the leftovers the next day with a lighter heart and a much better sensory experience.

Differences in opinion are positive. Arguments aren’t always easy to deal with, but I believe the end result can be positive when all parties at least attempt to be civil. It is the respect for civility and the recognition of the other’s humanity that avoids “war”.

Sometimes, however, war is unavoidable. Or, if it is avoidable, we are not in the position of power to avoid it. Gamache could only avoid “war” by conforming to corruption, for instance. And sometimes it is as the doctor explained to Beauvoir:

“It wasn’t anyone’s first choice,” said the doctor, an edge of impatience in his friendly voice. “We didn’t wake up one morning and pick teams. Like a game of Red Rover. This was excruciating and slow. Like being eviscerated. Gutted.”

A few weeks ago, when browsing through my shelves to find a book to show a friend, I started leafing through my copy of LETTERS OF NOTE (Shaun Usher). I was telling the friend about the book and was reminded of the letter Gandhi wrote to Hitler, a little before the Second World War broke out. For the sake of humanity. It is a powerful letter. Link: FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY

May we all choose our battles with careful consideration.
May diplomacy win, if possible.
May we be conscientious and fair in the battles we choose to engage in.
May we avoid unnecessary or hurtful fractions.
May we not forget the price of war – civil or otherwise – and seek other methods, when possible, in order to avoid the devastation.
And, whenever it is impossible to avoid a war, may be not forget that “the other side” (even when its leader is Francoeur) is human, too.

I think the sad thing about humanity is that we seem to frequently repeat our mistakes. So my last prayer is that we learn from our mistakes and from those of the ones that came before us. Not only in the big sweeping historical occurrences, but also in the small, seemingly insignificant experiences of daily life.

I did make soup. It was a vegetable soup. There were little pieces of vegetables bumping together… But I’m not a huge fan of thin broth, so I pureed about two thirds of the soup in order to make it a thicker broth.




I’m sure you’ll all forgive me if it doesn’t look quite like the soup I pictured when I read the scene. It was loosely based on this recipe: Perfect Potato Soup

6 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Thanks for sharing honestly about your experience with this dish. I was reminded of many meals with children. We always tried to make meal time a special family time, but many times we failed due to similar issues with three young ones' tastebuds!

    "The Beautiful Mystery" is one of my favorites, and I was so fortunate to visit the monastery last year. Your blog reminded me of that beautiful time with good friends and delicious food prepared there! I bought way too much to take home, and had to pay an extra baggage fee...ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... it was a disaster. Haha...
      The ripples of discord could be felt for a week (or more). We all agreed to disagree and reached a tentative consensus. Very diplomatic. But emotions ran high.

      I loved TBM, too!

      Delete
  2. A civil war is never civil. What a great quote. I loved The Beautiful Mystery, even though I cried through it. The Monks did see what was going on, how "evil" Francoeur was. How he manipulated Beauvoir. How much Beauvoir meant to Ganache. All with a smile on his face.
    I love a good soup. Also blueberries and chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great quote???
      It's been reverberating in my mind ever since.
      Francoeur's manipulation of Beauvoir is one of the most insightful bits of writing I've ever read.
      I, too, love soup. Husband's okay about it sometimes. Not frequently. Son HATES soup with a vengeance.
      I also love potatoes. All kinds. Prepared in any and every way possible. Husband tolerates them... Husband and son would eat french fries every day if possible (it isn't). Ha!

      Delete
  3. The Beautiful Mystery was one of Louise's most masterful works. Such a difficult thing to write about - to make Beauvoir's descent believable and understandable, yet still so wrenching and heartbreaking. All the while, set in an idyllic monastery with such beautiful music and the food! I was hungry the whole time I read that book! I love potato soup, and find it to be one of the comfort-foods I love the most.

    The civil war quotes are most relevant to today's situations almost everywhere, I think, and the poem sent by Ghandi to Hitler is powerful. Thank you for a cogent reminder that we need to be at least civil to one another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      You are so right. Powerful and masterful bit of writing, wasn't it?
      The contrast between the monastery and the silence and the simplicity and all the turmoil was pretty impressive.
      Me too!!!!! Potato soup always seems creamy to me. Even when you don't add cream!

      P.S. I loved that word. Cogent. I'll be mulling over it today. Thank you. I don't think I've ever used that word before. Hmmm... Words are savory too, aren't they?

      Delete