Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrĂ©e into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

A P.S./Edit on the Curmudgeon Post!

Thanks to Lynn - a reader who left a comment and very graciously corrected me - I have been reminded that Ruth's house was OF COURSE named and I couldn't remember the name and concluded it probably wasn't there. My skimming powers weren't good enough to find the answer. :)

It's "Another FINE Mess", which is brilliant - as is to be expected from Louise Penny!

Carry on... and thank you Lynn!

3 comments:

  1. While I agree this is a most excellent name, I can't remember it being "bestowed" either. Can you please remind me when and how it was named?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it! It's in A Great Reckoning (which I thought it must be), in chapter 43. I did a Kindle search for it, so all I can tell you is location 6861 of 7158, or 96% through the book - page numbers are pretty much meaningless on Kindle, as it depends on the size you make the type and which orientation you prefer for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just found it, too! I was just going to write you to tell you where it was in the book (page 379 of the hardback). Isn't it excellent?!

      Delete