Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Lovable Curmudgeons & a Salad (and Burgers, Cheese, Rolls, Brownies, Cakes, Pies, Pastry, and Cookies)

by Amy


** Note: I’m blogging about a scene in A GREAT RECKONING, but I will avoid the spoilers in the scene, so for those (few) of you who are Penny fans and have not yet read it, I promise I don’t give the mystery away. For those who read the blog and haven’t read the books, I don’t suppose it matters, right?


“Ruth says she wants a name for her cottage,” said Nathanial. “She asked me to choose one.”
“Really?” asked Myrna. “She asked you?”
“Well, more told me to find one,” he admitted. “And told me not to fuck it up.”
“So what’ve you come up with?” asked Clara.“We’ve narrowed it down,” said Huifen. “It’s between Rose Cottage” – she pointed to the sweetbriar roses around Ruth’s porch – “ and Pit of Despair.”
“I dare you,” said Clara, laughing […].” 
We all seem to love Ruth. In the online forum where I was first introduced to Louise Penny there was actually an ongoing competition as to who was the most Ruth-like of us (no… I wasn’t one of them – I’m more likely to relate to Reine-Marie, Clara, Lacoste & Jean-Guy).

But we do all seem to love Ruth. At least we love the character Ruth.

I recently read the book A MAN CALLED OVE, by Fredrik Backman. Ove is the most lovable curmudgeon I have ever had the pleasure to read. The only reason it’s easy to love him, though, is because we’re in his head all the time throughout the book. And, in being in his head and understanding his irrefutable logic (it’s irrefutable mainly because he refuses to be refuted – not because it’s particularly good reasoning) and deep integrity make it easy to empathize with him and laugh away his grumpy rudeness.

When we meet Ove he has lost the reason to live because he lost the person who gave his life meaning. It is in finding other people (much to his dismay and against his wishes most of the time) and becoming useful to them that he rekindles joy (to the extent that Ove is joyful) in life.



Ruth, like Ove, is frequently grumpy, bitter, annoyed at the stupidity of all those who fail to agree with her, lacking in interest in food for the most part, stingy, opinionated, and loyal to a fault. She will swear, criticize, and bully you into action out of a deep rooted kindness that is usually expressed in irritated exhortation.

We aren’t told what they end up naming her home.

Rose Cottage doesn’t seem to suit, does it? It sounds so ordinary and old lady sweet or fairy tale princess… not very Ruth-like.



While “Pit of Despair” might adequately describe her unpalatable dinner party (that is, until we read Libby’s improved version), her home might be more of a ladder out of despair than a pit where you dwell in it.

She is no stranger to despair and sorrow. We aren’t privy to the details (I wonder if we ever will be), but Ruth is a kind of mirror image of what Clara could become. All the sensitivity and perceptiveness and soft-heartedness worn away at by pain and regret and the kind of loneliness that ensues when the lump in the throat isn’t shared with those that love us.

Ruth and Clara both express themselves in their art. They both have an almost magical ability to see souls and to understand that which is unsaid. They have a depth of feeling that requires enormous strength in order to keep them whole – despite the cracks.

Who hurt you once so far beyond repair…

I am reminded by the George Eliot quote:

“That element of tragedy which lies in the very fact of frequency, has not yet wrought itself into the coarse emotion of mankind; and perhaps our frames could hardly bear much of it. If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel’s heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. As it is, the quickest of us walk about well wadded with stupidity.” (GEORGE ELIOT – MIDDLEMARCH)

Ruth is far from stupid. She feels. I think her aggressiveness is an attempt to tune out the sound of the “grass growing”. Maybe she sees too much and understands too much and cannot hide behind the cushion of stupidity. So she chooses anger. It's a defense mechanism.

The blog Brain Pickings (a rabbit hole if there ever was one) has a wonderful essay on genius and the ability to face despair. Link here: Brain Pickings.

Clara is saved from that fate. So is Jean-Guy. And their savior, unlikely thought it may seem, is Ruth.
When Ruth witnessed Clara on the brink of falling into the “Pit of Despair”, she bullied her into facing herself. She told her (and probably warned her not to fuck it up) to face her demons and not become embittered and “greet each overture with curling lip”. She encouraged (she probably wouldn’t have used that word – dared, challenged or commanded might be more her style) Clara to use her art to help her heal – even if the process hurt.

When Jean-Guy was in the “Pit of Despair”, it was Ruth who managed to see him, find him, and reach him. He was beyond words or socially acceptable displays of kindness. She wouldn’t ever resort to those anyway. She uses words like the swords they are.

“There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.” (Prov 12:18)



Ruth knows despair.

Her home has witnessed it.

Her poems are the result of a lump in the throat and a measure of pain that we probably have only glimpsed at.

She knows despair, but her home is not the Pit of Despair.

Clara knew it. That’s why she painted that genius flicker of hope in Ruth’s eye.

Maybe it is familiarity with despair and deep emotional pain that make it easier for her to recognize it in others. Maybe it’s just a talent she was born with. But Ruth is exactly the kind of friend (although she isn’t friendly most of the time) who will pull you from the edge of despair if she can, or sit with you down in the pit if you’re there… and help you (or shake you, force you, impel you, dare you) to find a glimmer of hope. She won’t leave you in the pit.

I hope they found a better name. Ruth’s home deserves a good name. (Edited: They did. It's Another FINE Mess).

Have you ever named a house? I’m awful at naming things. I don’t know what I think Ruth’s house should be named. I agree with Clara in that Pit of Despair is funny… and I’d love to be able to “watch” if they ever actually suggested it to her face…

This meal was set up in her home and she was sitting in a rocker as friends gathered around…

“What were you looking at?” Jean-Guy asked Armand, as they stood on the village green eating burgers off the huge grill Olivier had set up. A long table had been brought out, filled with salads and fresh rolls and cheeses. Across the green was another, longer table with all sorts of cakes, pies, pastries. Cookies and brownies and candies and children.”

Aside from the actual scene and the humorous naming of Ruth’s home, I had a giggle when I realized we’d already food-blogged about every part of this meal! Isn’t that fun?! And isn’t it wonderful that the longer table is the one with all the sweets?! Loved it!

I had made a new salad this week and was looking through the meal list to see if I could sneak it into the blog somehow. I’ll add it here although I doubt it would be served accompanying burgers. 

Roasted Rainbow Carrot Salad



There’s no real recipe to this. I chopped baby rainbow carrots and added a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and covered them in aluminum foil and roasted them in the oven for about 25 minutes. They were tender, but not too soft. I let them cool a little bit and added some balsamic vinegar (a very non-measured and unquantifiable splash), a handful of pumpkin seeds, about half a cup of crumbled feta cheese, and tried it with a bit of cilantro and without because I wanted some green in there. I liked the colors with the cilantro, but I don’t think it went well with the other tastes. Next time I might add a bit of basil, that might be a better taste balance. I’m not sure. It was slightly on the sweet side for me, but it was a very enjoyable autumn-like salad!

And in case you needed proof that we’ve made some version of everything served in this meal, here’s a list! We’ve already blogged about:










Pastry & Vulnerability












Awesome, right?!

11 comments:

  1. Another thoughtful post Amy. We named our home in California and my husband carved a large sign out of a tree that had fallen on the property. As to the naming of Ruth's home- I liked the response of Amelia as to why Ruth wasn't on the walk with them....she was probably embroidering the name on a pillow. When asked which name she had chosen Amelia responded " Another FINE Mess". Seems appropriate. Ruth, like Jean-Guy, is also opening her heart to caring about others. Another example of wonderful character development by the author-I can't wait for the next book and to see what Armand was referring to in his Commencement address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn,
      Oh my! You are so right!!!! I'd forgotten the name and couldn't find it when I skimmed/reread and concluded I was probably misremembering. I'm so sorry! Thank you for reminding me and that was a PERFECT name. :) I think Louise Penny's character development is genius! And thank you!

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy, just glad we resolved the naming of Ruth's home. You and Libby do an incredible job of finding just the right passages from the books for each post. I am just in awe of all the creativity in this blog. Bravo to you both!!

      Delete
  2. Great post. Ruth is the person I love to read about, and I defend her in discussions, but I KNOW I don't want to actually meet her in real life! These kinds of characters can charm from a distance, but up close? She would skewer me and have me in tears before I got to "hello". I know it. Better leave her between the pages...

    Your salad sounds wonderful. I agree, it needs a little green - I might try some spinach - maybe wilted, maybe not... Otherwise, it sounds so delightful! I noticed you didn't add any oil in the "dressing" with the balsamic vinegar - though I know you had some in there to roast with... sounds like you are like me and find many dressings too oil-heavy! I just might have to go find some rainbow carrots on my next grocery tip.

    I've often thought about naming my house - and several times, I've picked out names, but I just never remember them. I'm the same with my cars - I keep thinking they need a name, I come up with one, and then I can't remember it a week later, when I'm ready to say "Okay, __________ let's go shopping!" I guess I'm just not that kind of person, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, What a fun comment. I was nodding and laughing.
      YES! Ruth would absolutely SKEWER me, too. I'm not strong enough for her. Maybe someday... She absolutely intimidates me.
      Yes! Spinach would work, I think. And exactly. Too much oil ruins a salad. I did add green to one, but the only green I had was coriander - and the taste didn't work out so great. Spinach would be perfect. Or basil. I love basil. Or maybe adding green peppers when you roast the carrots? Hmmmm...
      And hahahahahaha! Me too! Son & I have considered car naming or house naming or... AWFUL at it. He has managed to name his imaginary friends and stuffed animals and hasn't forgotten those in over 5 years (which is like an eternity if you aren't yet 10 years old).
      Hugs and let me know if you make a version of this salad. ;)

      Delete
  3. There is still much to learn about Ruth. What happpened to her husband? We know she helped the underground of " draft dodgers" during the Vietnam war era. Besides Dleming what caused her to be a drunk curmudgeon? I love Ruth because she is good at heart. Interactions with her define the other characters. Thanks for the thoughtful post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleming, from TNOTB, is what it should say above..

      Delete
    2. YES! Exactly! I am so hoping Louise Penny will continue to "unfold" Ruth... And thank you - always - for reading!

      Delete
  4. Oh and my summer piece of paradise is named The Flamingo House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have flamingos there?!!!

      Delete
    2. Not real ones, but plastic ones, Flamingo on the flag, on the cups, on the beach bag, even the wine stopper!!!

      Delete