Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Croissants and Café au lait

by Amy

Sometimes a meal is the focus of a get-together. There are dishes that take time and effort and they demand appreciation because they are difficult or elaborate or because they have exotic or novel flavors. Usually, though, we end up eating similar foods in our day-to-day lives and fail to recognize, as we ingest, how wonderful they really are.

Croissants definitely do not qualify as a frequent item in my home. I barely drink coffee (although this project might change that) and I’d never baked croissants before in my life. I’d eaten my fair share (including the mouth-watering dark chocolate filled variety), but had this idea that they were very complicated to make and required a level of culinary skill I have never aspired to. I was wrong. They aren’t difficult to make, but they do require some attention to detail, willingness to work at it a little bit at a time, and patience to wait the required time between dough folding bouts.

I had to follow a recipe (there’s a link to the one I used at the end of the post), but I’m pretty sure both Olivier and Gabri could make these with their eyes closed. In fact, croissants and café au lait are such an integral part of Three Pines and the characters’ quotidian that we, as readers, tend to smell coffee and croissants just thinking about the idyllic village.

There is magic in the kind of meal that is enjoyed regularly to the point that it is almost taken for granted. In this first introduction to the food in Three Pines, we are drawn to a setting and a sensory experience that is so common to the characters that they seem to barely notice it. There is magic in the comfort of familiarity.

“Clara sat at the table by the window and waited. Patience was not her long suit. The mixture of café au lait and impatience was producing an exquisite vibration.”

The scene opens with Clara waiting at the Bistro, an extension of home for most of the Three Pines characters, croissant crumbs scattered on her person, and a mug of café au lait in her hands. She’s there at Jane’s request and, when this friend arrives we discover that, not only are they close friends (despite an obvious age gap), but also that Jane has chosen Clara to confide in. She is going through a life-altering moment and has made a momentous decision. She needs a friend. A kindred spirit. I think she chose Clara not only because of their friendship, but also because Clara, as an artist, was in a unique position to understand and empathize.

“No one was to see Jane’s art.Until now, apparently. But now the artist was overcome with an emotion so strong she sat in the Bistro and wept. Clara was both horrified and terrified. She looked furtively around, partly in hopes no one was watching, and partly desperately hoping someone was, and would know what to do. Then she asked herself the simple question that she carried with her and consulted like a rosary. What would Jane do? And she had her answer. Jane would let her cry, would let her wail. Would let her throw the crockery, if she needed to. And Jane would not run away. When the maelstrom passed, Jane would be there. And then she would put her arms around Clara, and comfort her, and let her know she was not alone. Never alone. And so Clara sat and watched and waited. And knew the agony of doing nothing. Slowly the crying subsided.”

Rarely do people accomplish great things – or anything, really – if they are completely alone. Most of us need the stimulation of minds that we can bounce ideas off of, we need the encouragement that comes from having someone believe in us and respect us, even if they don’t fully agree. We need the comfort and familiarity that comes from not just our version of café au lait and croissants and our comfy chair at home, but also from the embrace and the acknowledgement of a friend who hears what is unsaid and listens to our souls.

In A TRICK OF THE LIGHT, Clara realizes that Myrna is also such a friend: “[Clara] looked at her friend. The one who’d whispered into the silence. Clara got up. Arisen, she thought. Arisen. And she hugged Myrna.”

As I made my first batch of croissants (they turned out delicious even if they didn’t look as nice as the pictures in all the online recipes I looked at), I reflected on how blessed I am to have such friends in my life. I was, like Jane, “surprised by joy” and feeling very grateful because I am surrounded by people – online and off – I can share ideas and dreams with.

I spent much of the week making mental lists of friends  – and whispering prayers of thanksgiving – and remembering the cafes, bakeries, and little bistros in my own city that hold more meaning because of the conversations that have taken place there. Most encounters aren’t set up with a specific agenda and rarely are they as emotionally charged as Jane’s conversation was.  Sometimes the setup is my own living room and, not infrequently, it’s through the convenience of online conversation.

Actually, this project wouldn’t exist if it hadn’t been for a friend who listened to the daydream and prodded me into believing it could be enjoyably done.

There is magic in friendship. And in croissants.

I didn’t forget about the coffee. But the coffee deserves a post that is all its own.

All Quotes are from Louise Penny – Still Life, except the last, which is from A Trick of the Light.


I checked out a few recipes – most similar – and this one is basically what I made: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/croissants/

46 comments:

  1. What a glorious project! I know you will make Louise Penny proud. Ruth most assuredly is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both Fabulously Fabulous.
    Remember to keep your deserts Dead Cold, organize your fruit bowl like Still life and with A Trick of the Light everything will look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve, you have a way with words. I love that. LOL! Wonderful recommendations (especially since my main challenge is the pictures)...

      Delete
    2. You're a wise woman Eve! And a funny one - you make me laugh. You're not related to Ruth perchance? LOL

      Delete
  3. You are making my mouth water! Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea, thank you, I look forward to following this, love the books AND the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! We're glad you're enjoying it! And Louise Penny created an incredible world, didn't she? Welcome to the blog! --Amy

      Delete
  5. thank you, what a great idea, look forward to following this. Love the books AND the food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this project! I found Louise Penny through the magic of FB and have ordered her books now. And found you via a post by Louise. I will enjoy reading her books and your blog now. What a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! I'm sure you'll love her books. I've always been an avid reader, but these books are special. I'm sure you'll enjoy their "magic". ;) --Amy

      Delete
    2. Oh, you're in for a treat Meg! Glad you can join us.

      Delete
  7. I am so going to enjoy following this. Love Three Pinex and all who inhabit it. Would it be ok to mention this blog on Facebook. Thanks for such a fun and informative site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!
      It is definitely okay to share and mention it!
      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Great that you can join us, Barbara!

      Delete
  8. What a delight to discover! Thank you both so much for following your inspiration. Louise's followers will become your followers. I don't doubt that Louise will enjoy your blog more than anyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kathy!
      That's so sweet of you!
      I hope we live up to your expectations.

      Delete
    2. Katy, that's just lovely. Great tool have you join us!

      Delete
  9. What a great idea! So hope you do boeuf bourguignon from A Fatal Grace. Oh that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weave and spin - we're aiming for ALL the meals, but will end up making our own versions of most. I'm looking forward to trying that one out myself. I'm mostly scared of the A RULE FOR MURDER recipes!!!

      Delete
  10. Following your blog with great anticipation. I was always hungry after a visit to Three Pines and the Bistro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have only recently discovered the world of Three Pines, but I think you capture the ethos so well. Thank you for doing this blog. It's a wonderful idea. I've done a food blog for over eight years and the photos at the beginning are always a challenge. One tip is to not be afraid to focus in very close, but do keep the top of the food in the photo for perspective. I love that you made croissants! Great fun as long as one is patient and, as you found, delicious. Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! Thank you! Tips and hints and ideas are always welcome... especially since I'm a below average cook and (embarrassing, really, since my sister is a photographer) not a very good photographer. ;) Top of the food for perspective! Great hint. Noted!

      Delete
  12. Have only recently discovered the world of Three Pines, but I think you capture the ethos so well. Thank you for doing this blog. It's a wonderful idea. I've done a food blog for over eight years and the photos at the beginning are always a challenge. One tip is to not be afraid to focus in very close, but do keep the top of the food in the photo for perspective. I love that you made croissants! Great fun as long as one is patient and, as you found, delicious. Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to this culinary journey to Three Pines. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing your delightful meal with me. I have read and reread the series and find more new insight with each reading. I also envy the food served at the bistro and at the Morrow house. Yum, you captured the essence of the village so well. What next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's Earl Grey, Pumpkin Pie, Danish, Roasted Vegetables... All coming up soon. ;)
      I envy the food - and the idea of a next door bistro! I'd probably be as big as Myrna if I lived there, though...

      Delete
    2. where I live it's 2+ miles to town, highway not made for walking, but I fantasize about being able to walk to an espresso place and enjoy visiting with friends. Someday.......

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean... I can't really walk anywhere to enjoy time with friends. I have to drive. We can always dream, right? Or read!

      Delete
  15. "There is magic in friendship."
    So true! Thanks for your wonderful words. I look forward to many more posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary... And thanks for your wonderful encouragement.

      Delete
  16. This is a lovely project, and y'all fully deserve all the praise you're getting.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the picture of the licorice pipe. Was envisioning something entirely different - like a flute. And where can I get a mug in one of the pictures - "Vive Gamache"? Gotta have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, sorry I missed your comments here, but can see that Amy has answered your query about the Gamache mug. it"s quite a large size and perfect for generous cups of coffee, tea or even soup. You!ll love it! Libby

      Delete
  18. Love the picture of the licorice pipe. Was envisioning something entirely different - like a flute. And where can I get a mug in one of the pictures - "Vive Gamache"? Gotta have one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delightful read! Your writing is fabulous, and I really appreciated seeing a licorice pipe -- I'd imagined just a straight stick of licorice, hollow, but straight none-the-less. Wrongo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoCarol, how lovely to hear from you! So glad you are enjoying our blog.
      It was pretty neat seeing a licorice pipe for the first time...and then eating one!!! Libby

      Delete
  20. Christine Smith: Here's the link for where you can buy the mug: http://bookmanager.com/1178946/?q=h.tviewer&e_def_id=XFL6ZYAMO8U

    ReplyDelete
  21. How much fun is this, revisiting the first blog. I didn't post then, but I have been here since the beginning. They love their croissants in Three Pines and Montreal.. I don't drink coffee, I prefer tea, but I had great cafe au lait in Italy last year. Wow, 8 months. Keep up this great blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy!!!! It's so fun that you came back and posted on the first post! You are such a wonderful reader. I feel like I know you. I didn't ever drink coffee before. I've been drinking way too much cappuccino lately, though...

      Delete