Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Pre-Thanksgiving Pot-luck Dinner

by Amy




They ate by candlelight, the candles of all shapes and sizes flickering around the kitchen. Their plates were piled high with turkey and chestnut stuffing, candied yams and potatoes, peas and gravy. They’d all brought something to eat, except Ben, who didn’t cook. But he’d brought bottles of wine, which was even better. It was a regular get-together, and pot-luck was the only way Peter and Clara could afford to hold a dinner party.”


It was a regular get-together. This is the first such pot-luck meal we are invited to listen-in on in the books, but it’s not the first time for this particular group of friends, nor is it the last time we’ll be invited to join them. Dinner at the Morrow’s features repeatedly in the books, and if their walls could speak…

This particular meal takes place just before Thanksgiving and right after Olivier and Gabri go through an unpleasant experience and are not only buoyed by their friends, but actually have undisputable evidence of support when said friends spend the morning helping them clean the Bistro. During dinner conversation, while they do mention their hurt, the couple focuses on their gratefulness for friendship.

It was a phenomenon Myrna had noticed before, some people’s ability to turn a terrible event into a triumph. She’d thought about it that morning, manure under her fingernails, pausing for a moment to look at the people, young and old, pitching in. and she was one of them. And she blessed, again, the day she’d decided to quit the city and come here and sell books to these people. She was finally home. Then another image came back to her, one that had gotten lost in the activity of the morning. Of Ruth leaning on her cane, turning away from the others, so that only Myrna could see the wince of pain as the elderly woman lowered herself to her knees, and silently scrubbed. All morning.

I believe that what Myrna is thinking of is integral to resilience.

I don’t know if Louise Penny placed this idea of resilience during a holiday dedicated to thankfulness on purpose or not, but I think there’s poetic reasoning to it. Resilient people are often those who are grateful and who are able to spin meaning in the retelling of their stories and experiences. There is power in active optimism, where you work to ensure the best outcome. And, maybe most important of all, resilience is a product of belonging, of acceptance, of a sense of community.

When writing a paper on resilience what most struck me, as a new mother, was the importance of a mother-figure or at least one person in a child’s life who cared and who loved and accepted them unconditionally. At the time, I was less impacted by the importance of a network of friends and a sense belonging, both of which were often mentioned in papers on resilience.

Maybe that’s one of the reasons why so many of us love Three Pines and yearn to be among those blessed few who inhabit the idyllic village. It’s not that the characters are perfect. They aren’t. We slowly uncover their layers as the series goes on and the characters also get to know each other better. They are exposed to deep dark secrets they may not have even wanted to admit to themselves, much less each other. They go through hardships, disappointments, fears, and loss. They anchor each other. 

Their love is not blind. They are perfectly aware of their flaws and as they uncover their friends’ shortcomings they do not turn on each other. They adjust, adapt, compensate, learn, grow… and accept. Of course, it's hard not to be aware of your flaws if you hang out with Ruth...


There is a kind of magic in knowing that someone is willing to be there for you even when it isn’t fun. Gabri toasted his friends in gratitude for their loyalty and help. He chose to concentrate on that instead of the damage to their feelings and the Bistro. But part of the reason he was able to turn “a terrible event into a triumph” was because he had their support to begin with. He knew he belonged. He knew he would be embraced and taken care of. That gave him – and Olivier – the strength to shift the significance of the event. Their joy in friendship was greater than the pain of rejection.

These same friends were intimate enough and close enough to tease them about their choice – despite being chefs – of contributing canned peas to dinner. I felt obligated to add canned peas to my own interpretation of this meal. I’m not much of a turkey-eater and couldn’t imagine making a whole turkey for our small family (the left-overs alone would probably drive me crazy since none of us much care for it). So I adapted the meal and made white raisin and cashew nut stuffing for chicken breasts. We shared the meal with a friend who was staying over at our home that day. I added a salad and some fresh homemade bread I’d baked earlier that day.


The pea can was carefully opened and poured into a bowl. I took as much care as I assume Gabri and Olivier did.


The potatoes were coated in olive oil mixed with minced garlic and fresh herbs – then baked for an hour.

The chicken was based on this recipe – switching the cranberries and chestnuts for white raisins and cashew nuts (which are easier to find here):http://www.cityline.ca/2009/11/chicken-breast-stuffed-with-chestnuts/


My husband’s comment was a “Ruth-like” complaint that it was hard to stop eating – I took it as a glowing compliment on the food.

The meal is found on page 23 of the paperback edition of Still Life.



24 comments:

  1. Love this post, this meal, and this recipe! Unconditional love and support help us be resilient in the face of difficulties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev! Our own reading group is a source of support, isn't it?! ;) --Amy

      Delete
  2. I once found out I had to take a dish to a sports banquet at the last minute. I put some peas in a dish and heated it. It was a big hit. Found out young children don't care for all the fancy foods that most people brought and really enjoyed the peas. It taught me a lesson that sometimes less is more. And also now a lot of people are gluten intolerant and appreciate foods that they can trust not to have gluten in it. Love this post and what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, We're glad you're enjoying it! And YES! Hooray for canned peas!

      Delete
    2. I grew up on canned peas, and once had unexpected guests drop in around dinner time. One friend had brought his mother with him, who was visiting from Ireland. In a quandary to stretch everything, I added the canned peas to the menu. She thought they were lovely, while, of course, everyone else turned their nose up at them. I add a tsp. of lemon juice to the liquid in the can and call them Pois Citron! :D

      Delete
    3. Julie & Becky, that's a great idea! I'll add lemon juice next time!

      Delete
  3. What a super idea for a blog! I love the descriptions of food in Louise Penny's books - you've given me a good idea of where to get inspiration for my next few meals. I look forward to following your "literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Welcome to the blog and her meals are as inspiring as her books, aren't they?

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Vanessa. Three Pines is quite the place for inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful job! I can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I think the next one will be Libby's!

      Delete
  5. Louise sent me to you!! I really enjoyed your first two posts, and look forward to many more as you make your way through this wonderful series of books. I will fill up my Three Pines Cafe au lait mug and enjoy your insights and cooking adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! I think I'll have to get a Three Pines mug, won't I?

      Delete
    2. Ooh, the Three Pines mug will get a look-in, in my next post Patti! So glad you can join us.

      Delete
  6. Amy & Libby,

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for creating this wonderful further exploration of Louise's beautiful and thoughtful world. I think we all find comfort and inspiration in the world of Three Pines. What a wonderful endeavor you are creating.

    And yes, the canned peas are a wonderful illustration of the fact that what is truly important are the folks around the table creating community, supporting and listening to each other, not how fancy the food is.

    I look forward to joining you on your creative adventurous journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it! We are, too! And you are so right... It really is about the people!

      Delete
    2. The comfort of the.company of others is key, I agree Susan. Thank you for your support. What a joy!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful manifestation of the joy that springs from Louise Penny's imagination through her beloved characters and magic locales! I'm particularly impressed and pleased that, while you provide perfect context, you considerately withhold the secrets of the stories, allowing current and future readers their full delight. This is no easy feat, so I send my heartiest compliments.

    Thank you for sharing this terrific treat - I look forward to consuming it - with relish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margot, Thank you for that. Can you believe it wasn't quite intentional? I hope we can keep it up. I do think we won't be giving away spoilers so much as going on tangents. ;) I hope you continue to enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Margot! And it's a timely warning about spoilers. Must keep that in mind!!

      Delete
  8. The chicken sounds yummy. I'm not much one for peas (except for fresh pods), and don't think I'd fix canned peas even as a tribute. I might have to substitute, say, canned field peas. :) The firmer legumes stand up much better to canning, I think.

    But I'd eat canned peas \with gusto at your place, enjoyment of the company providing the sauce.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janet, I would so love to have you come visit! I promise to not serve canned peas when you make it to my home.

      Delete