Reading may seem like a solitary pleasure, but we do not believe it is so. As we read, we intimately interact with writers, the worlds they create, and our own inner selves as well as the real world that surrounds us. Some of us are also blessed enough to have friends to share the experience with.

While discussing the idyllic village of Three Pines and the captivating characters author Louise Penny created in the Inspector Gamache books, we were aware of the sensory pleasure to be had in the meals described. Olivier’s Bistro, Gabri’s baking, and dinners at the Morrow’s can easily make us salivate while reading the books… Louise Penny's books, are a wonderful entrée into a sensual world, where each book is a season, capturing its mood and flavours, and contributing to the layers of meaning about the characters, who are marvellously revealed over the series.

At one point, a daydream of going through the series with a notebook in hand, writing down all these meals and later cooking them, took shape. This is our "notebook". We hope you enjoy this literary-culinary-sensory-philosophical journey.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Ham & Brie Sandwich, Houses & Homes

By Amy


Gamache pulled up a chair, grabbed a baguette filled with thick sliced maple cured ham, brie and arugula and took a beer.

I had a really hard time choosing what to make this week. Quite a bit of coffee, tea, and café au lait is drunk in Bury Your Dead and The Nature of the Beast… and I seem to be gravitating towards those lately. I didn’t think it would be fair to go back to making coffee and tea since I’m already moved in and have a functional kitchen. I’m not sure I’d be forgiven for that at this point.

I ended up choosing a sandwich.

I rarely buy ham. Hardly ever, really. I love brie, though. I love arugula… although I ended up using baby spinach instead. It was a delicious sandwich, written after visiting a new friend in her delightful house.

“I’m just over at Augustin Reunaud’s home.” He hesitated. “You wouldn’t want to come, would you? It’s not far from where you are.”
“I’d love to see it.”
“Bring your reading glasses and a sandwich. And a couple of beers.”
[…]… pausing to check the address he’d been given, unconvinced he had it right.But no. there it was. 9 ¾ rue Ste-Ursule. He shook his head. 9 ¾.
It would figure that Augustin Renaud would live there. He lived a marginal life, why not in a fractional home?

That is one of my absolute FAVORITE lines in the books. Marginal life. Fractional home. Isn`t that a brilliant piece of writing?

Houses have personalities.

Some are very authentic and unique and make bold statements. Some are discrete and unassuming, but contain surprising depths and hidden corners. Some are nice to look at, but can be uncomfortable, formal, and intimidating. Some are homey and seem to welcome you like a familiar and warm embrace. Some are conventional and almost interchangeable.

Houses have personalities.

Homes tend to reflect their owners.

I don’t think those statements are the same.  

Houses have personalities. They do; regardless of the people who inhabit them. Their architecture and layout, location, lighting, view, and surroundings contribute to that. Home buyers unconsciously tap into that and sometimes cannot quite explain why they like this and not that house. There is something that is built into the house that goes beyond the structure, materials, and paint scheme. 
There’s something impalpable that speaks to us and says: sturdy, reliable, conformist, quirky, relaxing, safe, comfortable, private, open, trustworthy… and any other traits we look for in homes – and people.

And then there’s the part that we bring with us. When we make a house a home, wherever the home is and regardless of the traits the house brings with it, we make it our own. It slowly starts to reflect us, the owners. Some things are intentional – the things we choose to hang on our walls, the furniture we buy, the colors we choose. They are an attempt to surround ourselves with things that make us comfortable, bring us joy, fulfill our needs, feed our desires, and please us. Others are almost an accident. The best homes are “lived in”, but everyone “lives in” a house differently. Even that reflects us.

This isn’t the first time we’ve talked about homes and how they reflect their owners. We blogged about Hanna’s cookies and the Parra home: HERE. The Parra home was an opportunity to revisit first impressions and contrast expectation with reality and realize that people aren’t “just” what they seem. They are usually more and layered and can contain multitudes within them. They can be, like their homes, a study of contrasts and the conciliation and union of things that perhaps, in another context or to another person, would clash.

And we talked about Jane in our very first post: HERE. Jane was an extreme example. She was a welcoming and warm woman. She knew everyone in town, had taught most of those middle-aged and younger, and was well loved and respected in the community. However, no one, not even her closest friends, were allowed past her kitchen. Her home was revealing. Her art was literally on the walls.
If these walls could speak. Her walls did. They told a story. An incredible story. A story she hadn’t been willing to share.

He’d been in homes of every description in his thirty years of investigating crime. Hovels, glass and marble trophy homes, caves even. He’d seen hideous conditions, and uncovered hideous things and yet he was constantly surprised by how people lived.But Augustin Renaud’s home was exactly as Armand Gamache had imagined it would be. Small, cluttered, papers, journals, books piled everywhere. It was certainly a fire hazard, and yet the Chief had to admit he felt more at home here than in the glass and marble wonders.

I am between homes.

While I feel like I am “at home”, this house isn’t quite our home yet. The house is still revealing itself to us and we’re still figuring out how we get along and whether or not this will be an intimate long term relationship or if we will seek some other structure. While it is a nice house, it’s still bare and not quite “us” yet. It still has unrecognizable smells and mysterious creaks that we’re unfamiliar with.

It's funny that I only really realized that this week when visiting new friends.

The minute we parked in front of their house, my son said, “Is it the triangle house?”

It was.

What a great house! Even better: a wonderful home.



The house was surprising and fun and creative and open and warm and welcoming. It was simple and honest and full of little details that the family probably takes for granted, but were wonderful to us. It was functional and practical – but whimsical and magical. Just being there made me feel like I could potentially be more creative than I actually am. It made me feel like the coolest kid at school had invited me over to their home and whispered that the Narnia Wardrobe was in their spare room.

It didn’t feel like my home. But I felt “at home”.

Have you ever felt that? Have you ever walked into a place and felt like it was a place where you could safely be yourself? Have you ever felt like you belonged?

My son and I weren’t the only ones. When I mentioned how much I loved the house, the family told me about how they’d bought it. It was fascinating to hear their story and confirm that they too understood the house’s personality and realized it was a good fit.

When I went home, I reassessed. I feel at home in my current abode. The house and I haven’t quite forged a deep relationship, though.

The home we visited this week was inspiring. It has awakened dreams of a new home. A place where we not only feel at home, but where the walls speak – and when they do, it resonates with our own view of the world and of ourselves. Their home reminded me that houses have personalities. And maybe, just maybe, we’ll find a house that reflects ours.

I’m hopeful.

And grateful.



Ham and Brie Sandwich

As usual I used what I had and adapted the recipe. All I bought was some ham. Since I’m not a huge fan, I used a thin sliced ham, not a thick slice as the scene described. The brie was herb brie with a hint of garlic and I toasted the sourdough with some olive oil in a skillet. I added some mustard. That works, right? Because… it seemed to need a little extra taste and color.


What’s your favorite sandwich? Do you even have one?

All quotes are from Bury Your Dead.

6 comments:

  1. I must have a favorite sandwich, but of course, it depends on the time of year, the time of day, etc. I had to laugh when you said you weren't a big fan of ham - neither am I. I very seldom buy ham, and when I do, it's just to please my husband. I had once been at Colonial Williamsburg, taking a tour of a house and garden and part of the tour included a smoke house that had a 200 year old ham hanging in it, which the tour guide assured us would taste great and was still good. At that point, I shared with my friend that I had managed to convince my husband that you couldn't buy ham except at Christmas and Easter, and we laughed. The man behind us was incensed, and asked for my home phone number, as he was going to call my husband and tell him! Now, I'm sure he knows - it's just our little inside joke, but I was amazed at how upset this stranger was! I guess ham is not to be taken lightly in Virginia. I have only ever had one ham that I liked (for me, it's all too salty). My aunt was a wonderful cook, and for a visit by our family, she'd prepared a large ham, which she served sandwiches from. The ham was perfect cold, sliced quite thick, oddly enough, and with a plain hot mustard and butter (we're of English descent and don't cotton to the use of mayonnaise) on thick slabs of home-made bread. I've been trying to recreate that sandwich ever since, and not managed it.

    I do have another that I also recreated - it's the "Spanglish sandwich", which is a lovely sandwich that the hero of the movie makes for himself - you see the last of it going together. He's already got great slabs of rustic bread toasted with melted cheese (I used Havarti when I recreated it, but have since found that they used Monterey Jack) and bacon, lettuce and tomatoes on it. He slides on a sunny-side up egg on top, and the top piece of toast, then cuts through it and does a little "presentation" of sliding the two pieces apart so you can see the egg yolk running onto the plate. Oh, it made me hungry! After I'd stopped the CD there several times until I was sure I could make the sandwich, I found out (of course) that you can find the recipe online, hahaha. http://chopsticksandmarrow.com/2013/08/thomas-keller-makes-the-worlds-greatest-sandwich/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is HILARIOUS about the guy wanting to call your husband.
      I'm with you. I've only ever bought a big chunk of ham once. For this sandwich I just bought a few slices. HAha! Total cheating.

      As for the sandwich you recreated, it probably never would have inspired me. And it was much more memorable stopping the CD several times. Haha!

      Delete
  2. Why is there no unsubscribe button on this blog? I thought that was a requirement on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gram
      It's probably because we're "blogging novices" and didn't add one. However, if you're subscribed and receive emails, there's an unsubscribe link on the emails.
      Does that help you?

      Delete
  3. A very interesting concept, a house has a personality. I think the people living in the house give it a personality. Some are warm and inviting, some are cold and unwelcoming. Mine is just lived in. Never really picked up but not exactly cluttered, sort of messy but not dirty. At least it is not marginal or a fractional life!
    Ah, ham and cheese. One of my favorite sandwiches. I'll have to try it with Brie.
    Thanks for making me think! Always good to use my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,
      I agree. People give a house personality... Some, though, seem to have a bit of their own. Maybe infused by the architect? Or, sometimes, it's just that people add to it and change it and adjust it through the years and then it seems to gain personality as it ages?
      I love your description of your house. It sounds like mine. Mine is probably a little dirty, though, to be honest...
      And yes! The brie was yummy!

      Delete